Often, teenagers come up ideas to try new as well as interesting things and take risks in their lives, so many of them try tobacco, alcohol, or drugs because it seems exciting. Only some teens try these substances just a few times, but most of the teens can’t control cravings or urge to have them, again and again, that is called as substance abuse.
Teens may try various substances such as alcohol, cigarettes, prescribed drugs, household chemicals, and illegal drugs.
What are reasons for teens abusing drugs and alcohol?
There may be different reasons for teenagers using drugs and alcohol. They include:
- May be to become a part of certain friends or groups.
- They like the after effect of drugs or alcohol.
- They believe it makes them more mature and grown-up.
Signs of substance abuse in teenagers
It has become very difficult for parents to know about their child’s lifestyle when children are trying to maintain with their parents. Nowadays, drug abuse in teens is the major public health issue. It is important to know the signs that your child may be abusing drugs, alcohol, or other substances. Some of the signs are given below:
- Red eyes and health complaints, including being overly tired most of the times.
- Lack of interest in school, skipping classes or school, and a sudden drop in grades.
- New friends who are least interested in their school activities as well as families.
- Chemical-soaked papers or rags, which may mean that your child is inhaling vapors.
Health & other risks of drug abuse
Drug abuse can cause various serious problems such as poor performance at school, problems at home, lack of friends, and lasting legal problems. Drug and alcohol abuse is a major cause of teen death or injury because of car crashes, suicide, drowning, and violence.
Drug abuse can increase the risk of pregnancy and sexually transmitted infections (STIs), such as HIV, because of unprotected sex.
Even normal use of certain drugs can lead to severe health issues, including brain damage or an overdose.
Continue Reading Article>>> Healthy Tips